Making the Stock for the .416 Ruger No. 2 – Post 2

I drilled the “big” hole in the butt, and started inletting (machine part) of the rear tangs when it became clear that I needed a 13/16″ mill cutter. So I ordered that and it should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Nothing more I can do on the butt ’til I get that cutter. In the mean time, I started on the forearm.

Because I have the birch butt for ‘practice’, I made a birch forearm too. However, I started milling on the persimmon one first because it is ready. Actually, the milling for the forearm is pretty straight forward EXCEPT for the blasted attachment screw. The hole for it is at a 45 degree angle. That doesn’t sound bad, but since I’m starting with a blank that is larger than the finished forearm, and where you start the hole determines where it will finish, but since it is at an angle, you can’t start it where the holes are in the factory one. It took some cypherin’, but I got it figured out. Getting it set up to drill the hole was yet another ‘exercise’.

Here are some pictures of getting the attachment screw hole drilled. First, a 3/8ths forstner bit to establish a ‘flat’. (That bit will be used again when the shaping is finished, for the final recess for the head of the attachment screw.)

Then a brad-point bit to drill the through-hole for the shank of the screw.

Unfortunately, because of the angle, I couldn’t get the mill head close enough to the work-piece, (or conversely, the drill bit wasn’t long enough), to drill all the way through.

So I had to finish it with this.




















Next came inletting the barrel channel and “hanger” hardware. As I said, this was just “plain ol’ milling”. First a starter channel for the barrel.

The rest of the milling wasn’t particularly interesting, so these are the ‘finished product’. This is where the hand-fitting starts.

I’ll start the handwork this afternoon. I’ll try to remember to take pictures along the way, but no promises.


Leave a Reply